JOIN THE CAMPAIGN TODAY!
Be a part of the movement ... the movement to BUY LOCAL! Your $50 membership will entitle you to a BUY LOCAL membership card which is tied to discounts at several of our Capitol Hill restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, service providers, and more. In addition, several Capitol Hill organizations (CHAMPS included) will be offering special BUY LOCAL member pricing for events. CHAMPS is offering a special BUY LOCAL discount on all events throughout the year! Current discounts are available here and will be updated (and added) regularly, so be sure to check back often to ensure that you can take full advantage of your BUY LOCAL membership.
Then click here to become a BUY LOCAL - CAPITOL HILL member and get access to exclusive local shopping, dining, and service discounts, events, and more --- for just $50/year!
Still need more convincing?
Scroll down and check out our list of 10 reasons to BUY LOCAL
When you spend your dollars locally, our entire community benefits!
- BUY LOCAL to Ensure Exponential Local Economic Benefits: Several studies have shown that when you buy from an independent, locally owned business, rather than a nationally owned businesses, significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses and service providers and farms -- continuing to strengthen the economic base of the community.
- BUY LOCAL to Keep More Money Right Here: Spend $100 at a locally owned business and $68 of that stays in the community. Spend $100 at a national chain, and only $42 stays in the community.
- BUY LOCAL to Ensure the Uniqueness of our Community: Where we shop, where we eat and have fun -- all of it makes our community home. Our unique, small businesses are an integral part of the distinctive character of Capitol Hill - whether it's Barracks Row, Eastern Market, H Street, Pennsylvania Avenue, Massachusetts Avenue or even the corner store on your block. More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community
- BUY LOCAL to Help Reduce Our Community's Environmental Impact: Locally owned businesses can make more local purchases themselves, which means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller overall carbon footprint.
- BUY LOCAL to Help Create Jobs: Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally and in our community, provide the most jobs to residents.
- BUY LOCAL to Get Better Service: Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and take more time to get to know customers. The owners of most of our Capitol Hill businesses are often on-site themselves and build lasting relationships with their local customers. Our local business owners are are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- BUY LOCAL to Invest in Our Community and Our Community Groups: The majority of our Capitol Hill businesses are owned by people who live in our neighborhood. They are wholly invested in the community's future and are less likely to leave than a nationally owned business. Additionally, local businesses donate to non-profit organizations at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- BUY LOCAL to Put Your Taxes to Good Use: Local businesses in commercial districts require comparatively little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services as compared to nationally owned stores entering the community.
- BUY LOCAL to Get What You Want, Not What Someone Wants You to Buy: A marketplace of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term. A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based not on a national sales plan but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices.
- BUY LOCAL to Encourage Local Prosperity: Studies show that entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character.
Ready to sign up? You can do that here!